Winter is hard on many families in northern climates as people often think it is too cold or too snowy to take their kids outside. This is usually not the case. As long as everyone is dressed warmly you do not have to stay cooped up inside all winter long.
Winter does not have to be dull. Check out my list of fun winter activities to do with kids of all ages. If you have an infant use a baby carrier so they can get fresh air too.
- Go for a walk in the woods. Let kids explore the trees and nature at their own pace.
- Go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing.
- Go downhill skiing with older kids.
- Find a safe outdoor area and have a bonfire, roast hotdogs and marshmallows.
- Walk around a city park.
- Take the kids to a playground. Sliding is even more fun with snow pants on.
- If it is very cold, just go outside and play soccer for 15 minutes. A little fresh air is better than no fresh air!
- Find different nature trails in your area and try a new one each week.
- Fill spray bottles with water and food coloring and spray paint the snow.
- Pull your kids in sleds or have the big kids pull the little ones.
- Go sliding on big hills. Use a toboggan so you can go with little kids.
- Go snow tubing down big hills.
- Go on a horse-drawn sleigh ride in the country. Bring hot-chocolate.
- Bring sandbox toys outside to play in the snow.
- Build a snow fort.
- Have a snowball fight.
- Have a snowman building contest. The winner gets to pick the movie to watch when you come in to warm up.
- Go skating.
- Play hockey on your lawn with a ball.
- Hide balls under the snow outside and have your kids race to find them.
- Give your kids a stick to write/draw in the snow.
- Have a scavenger hunt for winter items like a shovel, salt, snow blower, etc.
- Fill bird feeders and take pictures of winter birds.
- Go to a sugaring-off at a sugar camp to have maple syrup on snow.
- Take your kids ice-fishing.
What outdoor activities would you add to this list?